Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Too Dumb for Complex Texts? More Thoughts


 Too Dumb for Complex Texts? More Thoughts

In regards to complex thinking skills vs. multitasking and constant interaction, I believe they are both caught and taught.  We learn many things from watching people close to us, picking up habits and mannerisms among other things. Such as reading books at home as we discussed in group. Kids are seemingly more interested in books when exposed to them naturally. However, we still need to teach and guide them in thought-provoking questions that might get some kids thinking critically who may not have otherwise. On the other hand, there are indeed children who are natural born thinkers and analyzers and tend to question and dig deep on their own. Then you have massive technology that I definitely believe plays a role in loss of critical thinking, but not all. I agree with Bauerlein in the apparent truth about technology and its’ affects on people and how strongly it has been linked, especially the fast paced television (like all other technology), to attention difficulties in children (ADD). I have no doubt that this affects adults as well. So then it is not only caught by watching others interact with technology, it is taught while we are forced into it at schools and convinced by others around us to learn it.           


“Complex texts require single-tasking, an unbroken and unbothered focus. Digital activities foster multitasking and constant interaction.” Are these two different approaches “caught” or taught? (Caught as a matter of living in our culture or taught as in school?) “Complex texts require single-tasking, an unbroken and unbothered focus. Digital activities foster multitasking and constant interaction.” Are these two different approaches “caught” or taught? (Caught as a matter of living in our culture or taught as in school?)




1 comment:

  1. Hi Katherine, I completely agree with you. From my experience in the classroom kids are very resistant to reading anything that doesn't provide instant gratification with minimal effort. I do think that technology can support these efforts from teachers though, especially in the case of ADD students. I like that you brought up ADD students because the make up of kid who are ADD is about 1/3 of my overall class!

    ReplyDelete